nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151420
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Yellowstone in the winter" Previous topic | Next topic
rwk48 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 02:53 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Yellowstone in the winter"
In response to In response to 0

Powell, US

The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is open year round -- except when storms roll through, of course. It's a 50 mile drive -- about an hour and a half, no stopping -- that runs through the Lamar Valley. There are restaurants and other facilities open year round in Cooke City.

I'd echo what other folks have noted. I'd be pretty careful about heading off on snow shoes. I don't know that the benefit would be worth the hassle.

You should be able to drive to the upper terrace at Mammoth, but I think the loop up there is reserved for cross country skiing in winter. The steam from the thermal pools can be both a blessing and an aggravation when it comes to getting a good shot.

I don't usually get in the Park until March, and I've been on that stretch through the Lamar Valley and not seen a thing. On the other hand, buffalo are pretty common, and the elk can be thick around Mammoth. Bighorns also hang around there. A friend of mine got some shots of wolves in that area a couple of weeks ago. The landscapes along the drive can be terrific.

My daughter spent four summers working in the Park and spent one winter at Canyon. She said that of all the animals in the Park, she was most nervous around buffalo (although in the last couple of years I think five or six people have been killed by griz in the Yellowstone ecosystem). The problem with buffalo is that they are all over the place and they like to use the roads in the winter. They can also be unpredictable. I just try to take it easy when I ease past them in the car.

Finally, if you need a break from roughing it, Chico Hot Springs is 40 miles north. The restaurant and the Hot Springs are first rate. I'm heading there in March.

Have a good trip.
Rob
PS Always look behind you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicYellowstone in the winter [View all] , bobpilot Silver Member, Sun 27-Jan-13 12:11 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yellowstone in the winter
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
27th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
28th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
Triple Productions Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
28th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
28th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
28th Jan 2013
28th Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
28th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
rwk48 Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
rwk48 Silver Member
30th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151420 Previous topic | Next topic