Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61191
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 08-Apr-13 01:20 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"

Jefferson Hills, US

Hi guys. I am a fairly experienced hobbiest photographer, but I have almost no experience with flash photography. My use of flash is pretty much limited to outdoor fill flash, an occasional use of flash when shooting architectural interiors, and on-camera flash for indoor casual shots of my family. For most outdoor fill flash, the built-in flash works fine. But, indoors, I prefer to bounce flash. A few years ago, I bought an SB400, which is a great little flash that fits easily in a small camera bag. I use a D7000 for most subjects, but I do like to shoot candids with my old D50 from time to time.

But, it only tilts, and does not swivel. I find that most of my candids and family portraits are shot in vertical orientation. The SB400 cannot swivel, so it is not very useful as a bounce flash in this orientation.

I am looking for a tilt-swivel head flash that is more powerful than the SB400, but which doesn't break the bank. I use it so infrequently, that I hate to pay over $300 for an SB700. I use it in full Auto mode, so I'm not too concerned with a lot of advanced features and controlling multiple flash guns, etc.. I'm not really that interested at this point in my hobby with learning advanced flash photography. I just want to strap it on, tilt it toward the ceiling, and know that it will expose properly. I do, however, want something that fully utilizes Nikon's state of the art flash exposure system, and that maintains a "Nikon-like" color balance.

Can anybody recommend a compatible 3rd Party flash that is less expensive and meets my needs as outlined above? Do different flashes reproduce colors differently, or is that all controlled by the camera/WB setting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicCan you recommend a 3rd Party Flash? [View all] , torwood Silver Member, Mon 08-Apr-13 01:20 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?
jboyde
08th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th Apr 2013
RABaker
09th Apr 2013
BGD600
09th Apr 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
Beachthongs
12th Apr 2013
blw Moderator
13th Apr 2013
archer4219
27th Aug 2013
Beachthongs
27th Aug 2013
zooguy Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
Beachthongs
01st Sep 2013
bcfoto Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
chroaz Gold Member
08th Sep 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.