Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61113
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Studio Lighting" Previous topic | Next topic
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 05:29 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Studio Lighting"
In response to In response to 7


US
          

>Tim,
>
>I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and recommend you
>go with speed lights. I'd start with this:
>
>2 Used SB800s if you can find them for around $300-325 each
>(one to use as a remote, the other to use as an on-camera
>master and fill-flash)
>
>One Light Stand/Umbrella Kit Consisting of:
>1 Black Manfrotto Nano Light Stand
>1 Manfrotto 026 Swivel
>1 Frio Coldshoe
>1 Westcott 43" collapsible white umbrella with black
>removable cover
>
>One Manual Boom Kit Consisting of:
>1 Adjustable-length extending paint pole
>1 Kacey Enterprises Paint Pole Adaptor (google it)
>
>One Year Practicing all of the Lessons in Lighting 101, 102
>and the various lighting bootcamps over at www.strobist.com.
>
>If you can make magic happen with the equipment above, then
>you'll be able to make magic happen with anything.
>
>Good Luck,
>Ben
>
>


This is also great advise from Ben. I've only recently moved to studio lights, before that I used speedlights for everything. They have plenty of power for "normal" indoor/studio use and are also fine for about 75% of outdoor lighting, the other 25% can be cheated with high speed sync using CLS.
Speedlights are also very lightweight and can be placed just about anywhere, I've velcro'ed them to street light poles and hidden them inside cars.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my web site.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicStudio Lighting [View all] , timf23 , Sun 24-Mar-13 11:49 AM
 
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
MEMcD Moderator
24th Mar 2013
1
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Mar 2013
2
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
PeterBeckett Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
3
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
timf23
25th Mar 2013
4
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
5
     Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
seres2
26th Mar 2013
6
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
NenBikonian
30th Mar 2013
7
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
10
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
DinoCardelli
01st Apr 2013
8
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
benveniste Moderator
01st Apr 2013
9
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
timf23
10th Apr 2013
11

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61113 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.