Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
benveniste

Boston Area, US
10079 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Studio Lighting"

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Mon 01-Apr-13 01:58 PM

So my question is what is a good starting point for this? Will one of the 2 light starter kits with stands and umbrellas be a good start or should I not waste the money and start off with something a little more high end? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered renting gear or even renting an entire studio for the shoot?

While you can accomplish a lot with a 2 light kit, I don't recommend the inexpensive "starter kits" offered on eBay and elsewhere. A number of years ago I thought I was buying a better grade of gear than those kits, and I still ended up replacing almost everything even for my amateur use.

I was about to buy Paul Buff lights when I "fell into" a deal on a Hensel set-up. I'm very happy with the Hensel's, but at least in the U.S. they aren't very common. So accessories can be hard to find.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

A general, generic topic Studio Lighting [View all] , timf23 , Sun 24-Mar-13 12:49 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting