Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61113
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Studio Lighting" Previous topic | Next topic
DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Mon 01-Apr-13 11:58 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Studio Lighting"
In response to In response to 0
Mon 01-Apr-13 12:00 PM by DinoCardelli

Plantation, US

I have a complete set of Alien Bees 3 x 800 1x400 with a Ringflash...

Softboxes - 10x36 / 24x32 / 47" octabox / 40x60

couple of key issues...

The bees and any other lighting source with large softboxes are heavy....

You need to get the heavy duty stands from Paul Buff....as well, you'll need some large sandbags...

The Buff cyber system works well, but, I prefer using the Pocketwizards along with the AC 9's for the Bees....

go to pocketwizard.com for more info....

You can do alot with just two light and a backdrop.....

As mentioned, it's not difficult, just takes practice and learning to control the light a bit...

I also have the hand strobes (SB910's, 900's, and 600's), different softboxes and technique....personally, I think the studio Bees are much easier....but, a light source is a light source..

If you are going to be moving about...the VAGABOND system is a nice to have for portable shooting..

Overall, be prepared to spend about $2K plus for a nice, home set up with two Bees, softboxes, backdrop stands, paper, etc.... the next step up is the Lighting series, then the Einsteins....you get a good bang for your buck with the Bees....they do a nice job and are easy to handle and service....don't forget to buy extra bulbs in case the stand falls over....ask me how I know this

The bees hold their value, so if you decide to get rid of them, you'll get at least 60-70% on the $1 for them on Ebay....

Plus, Buff has a 60 day no questions asked warranty if you decide it's not for you.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicStudio Lighting [View all] , timf23 , Sun 24-Mar-13 12:49 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
24th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
timf23
25th Mar 2013
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
seres2
26th Mar 2013
NenBikonian
30th Mar 2013
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
DinoCardelli
01st Apr 2013
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
01st Apr 2013
timf23
10th Apr 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61113 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.