Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)" Previous topic | Next topic
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 12:30 AM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hello Nikonians !
>I'm about to shoot a wedding & the bride would like a shot
>of "everyone" -yes as in 1 big group shot. About 65
>people & indoors I have 2 sb910 on stands that I will put
>45* angles shooting thru umbrellas. Will that work ?? Also if
>I keep the sb910's on the stands to cover the dance floor all
>night shouldn't I gel them (incandescent ) for the lighting
>just like I would if they were on camera flash.?
>Sorry to ask such simple questions but I am new to indoor
>flash shooting & am doing this for a friend. Thank you so
>much
>

In addition to what Hal and Scott said, I recommend that you do not angle your flashes toward the center of the group. That will make the center brighter than the ends where they don't overlap. It will also create a flash shadow on one side of each face, and if the umbrella angles are severe enough, the shadows will project onto the adjacent person.

I get more even lighting across the group when when I point the umbrellas straight ahead and place them about half way between the camera and the end of the group, still aimed straight forward.

Your umbrellas will always overlap to some degree. There is nothing you can do about it. But if you think about it as you place your umbrellas, you can avoid the worst of the uneven lighting and the flash shadows. If you are still getting flash shadows, move the umbrellas closer to the camera.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpSB910 Lighting Question (2 part question) [View all] , JMANUCH , Fri 22-Mar-13 10:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)
HBB Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
HBB Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
23rd Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
24th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Mar 2013
JMANUCH
24th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
24th Mar 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.