nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)" Previous topic | Next topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 04:39 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to In response to 0

Phoenix, US

Joanne:

Welcome to Nikonians! I hope your time with us will be rewarding.

A friend of mine recently photographed an even larger group of over a hundred people in a church setting. He assembled them on the floor of the sanctuary and captured the image from the balcony overlooking it. Every face is visible.

Unless you can elevate the camera somewhat above the group, or they are standing on risers or steps, it will be difficult to capture all of them in one image.

He used one on-camera and a pair of Nikon SB800 speedlights that were about fifteen on either side of him on the balcony, pointed at the off-white ceiling overhead. The speedlights were set to manual mode, maximum power M1/1. He was shooting with a D700, using an ISO of 1,500, and a metered white balance of 3,050 K, 1/60 second at F/5.3.

The lighting in the church was incandescent, with some natural daylight coming in from windows along the side walls. He fitted the SB800s with the incandescent gels using the built-in wide flash adapter, which meant the focal length was locked at 14 mm. The gelled SB800s overpowered most of the blue daylight near the side windows, and most people viewing prints will never notice it.

Given the subject to lens distance, it may not be beneficial to use the shoot through umbrellas, as they absorb a fair amount of light, and the effect of the soft, diffuse illumination may be lost.

If there is time, I suggest conducting an on-site test prior to the wedding. You situation may be quite different than my friend's.

Perhaps some of our excellent wedding photographers can offer more detailed advice. I stopped doing weddings many years ago, for a variety of reasons. I admire those who shoot weddings professionally ... In my mind, it takes a special personality that I lack.

Hope this helps a bit.

Let us know how it works.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpSB910 Lighting Question (2 part question) [View all] , JMANUCH , Fri 22-Mar-13 11:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
22nd Mar 2013
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
23rd Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
24th Mar 2013
24th Mar 2013
JMANUCH
24th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
24th Mar 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079 Previous topic | Next topic