nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB800 and flash basics

dandy49

clearwater, US
214 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"SB800 and flash basics"

dandy49 Registered since 28th Feb 2009
Sun 27-Jan-13 11:01 PM

I don't know why I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the SB800. When the flash head is at 90 degrees (shooting direct at the subject) in TTL, I can get perfect exposure. Now, if I put the diffuser on the flash and the head is still 90 degrees and TTL, does the flash automatically compensate for light loss through the diffuser? Now, if I were to bounce the flash at say 45 degrees, does the flash compensate for any bounce for the head being at 45 degrees? Another question: If you have the camera set at say 5.6 1/60 sec. 400 iso, and you bounce the flash off a white ceiling, I get an underexposure. Now, if I open the aperture to say 4.0, will the flash then try and compensate for the larger opening by automatically powering down the flash because of the TTL or will the flash power remain the same only giving me better exposure because of the larger aperture? I guess you could say that I am still having trouble with under exposure with my flash when I bounce or use a diffuser and don't know how to compensate for the light loss. Thanks, Daniel

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question SB800 and flash basics [View all] , dandy49 , Sun 27-Jan-13 11:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB800 and flash basics