nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash or Strob....That is the Question

quenton8

Toronto, CA
1413 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question"

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010
Fri 18-Jan-13 06:24 PM

I think I would go in first and try a few shots without flash OR strobe. Depending on how the lighting they have is deployed it may provide enough to give some facial features, but you still retain the semi-dark effect with the christmas lights and sparkles.

I would go in trying ISO 800 or 1200 in Program mode with a -2 or even -3ev adjust.

From there you may have to play it by ear.

I had a situation at christmas where our church sang "silent night" with only candles (about 250 candles). I could have flashed the whole thing, upset everyone and had a nice photo of people in the church all holding something and you cannot tell what they are holding.

I don't remember the settings exactly, but I think it was about ISO1200 and it was a D90 so not great low-light -- the photo was great, but I had time for a few with different settings.

You may then want to try with some flash, perhaps with the flash output lowered 2 or 3ev so you still get SOME sparkles, but you see people - people like to see people at weddings.

From there -- wee what you get -- you probably won't know much until your camera actually sees it. At least you should have a few minutes to play around without losing some good shots.

----
Dennis Smith.

A general, generic topic Flash or Strob....That is the Question [View all] , Clarktmc Gold Member, Thu 17-Jan-13 05:50 PM
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question Clarktmc Gold Member
18th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Jan 2013
18th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question fmrnykr Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
19th Jan 2013
20th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
20th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question jjmirenzi
25th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question Clint S Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
03rd Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Flash or Strob....That is the Question Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
04th Feb 2013