Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60355
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"" Previous topic | Next topic
RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Mon 28-Jan-13 05:10 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio""
In response to In response to 0
Mon 28-Jan-13 05:11 PM by RABaker

Sunnyvale, US

Bob,

I occasionally shoot hummingbirds in our backyard and normally set up about 8 to 10 feet from the feeders. The hummers don't seem to mind my presence as long as I don't move around too much. I usually use a 300mm lens on a DX camera and get what I consider good framing - not quite frame-filling but near enough. I have shot both natural light and flash. When using flash, be sure to disable any pre-flash feature. The hummers are fast enough to move nearly out of the frame between the pre-flash and the main flash. Once they realize that the flash won't hurt them they tend to settle down a bit - they still move, but not as far. The direction of the light will have a significant impact on the colors that show up. When the light is just right you will get bright, vibrant colors from certain parts of their feathers. When the light is not quite right you can get very muted colors. Unfortunately, I have not done this often enough to remember what lighting worked for me and what didn't.

Good luck,
Richard

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicOutdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio" [View all] , RLDubbya , Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"
HBB Moderator
24th Dec 2012
RLDubbya
25th Dec 2012
Sewerrat
28th Jan 2013
RABaker
28th Jan 2013
mfphoto1 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Seajay Gold Member
29th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.