Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60355
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"" Previous topic | Next topic
Sewerrat Registered since 01st Nov 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 04:49 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio""
In response to In response to 0

US

Hi, RLDubbya.

Bob has many good points & recommendations in his response! I have taken hummer photographs with multiple flash units off & on for years dating back to that 4-letter word, FILM! LOL Spent a fortune too getting decent hummer shots.

Don't rule out the possibility of shooting remotely. The last few years my hummers haven't cooperated as they have picked elsewhere as a primary food source and come to our feeders too irregularly to try getting some shots so I've instead used my SU-800 & 3, SB-800s to capture birds in flight going to our regular bird feeders.

I just use a Sigma 150mm APO macro lens and prefocus manually at a spot close to the feeder. I modified an aftermarket wired flash so that I can sit up to 45ft away or so. Hummers are not shy and lots of backyard birds aren't either once they get used to you. I usually sit about 10 feet away.

I just bought a D5100 and have also bought 3-4 new remote options so that I don't have to go wired anymore and will try them out this spring.

Here is an image using my equipment & technique:

FYI, I've also done lots of butterfly photography. I even raised several varieties to get specimens with flawless wings. I can offer lots of advice here if you are interested. Not bragging, just offering help!

Regards,

Stan aka Sewerrat

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicOutdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio" [View all] , RLDubbya Silver Member, Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"
HBB Moderator
24th Dec 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
25th Dec 2012
Sewerrat
28th Jan 2013
RABaker
28th Jan 2013
mfphoto1
28th Jan 2013
Seajay
29th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.