nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"

Sewerrat

US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio""

Sewerrat Registered since 01st Nov 2012
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:49 PM

Hi, RLDubbya.

Bob has many good points & recommendations in his response! I have taken hummer photographs with multiple flash units off & on for years dating back to that 4-letter word, FILM! LOL Spent a fortune too getting decent hummer shots.

Don't rule out the possibility of shooting remotely. The last few years my hummers haven't cooperated as they have picked elsewhere as a primary food source and come to our feeders too irregularly to try getting some shots so I've instead used my SU-800 & 3, SB-800s to capture birds in flight going to our regular bird feeders.

I just use a Sigma 150mm APO macro lens and prefocus manually at a spot close to the feeder. I modified an aftermarket wired flash so that I can sit up to 45ft away or so. Hummers are not shy and lots of backyard birds aren't either once they get used to you. I usually sit about 10 feet away.

I just bought a D5100 and have also bought 3-4 new remote options so that I don't have to go wired anymore and will try them out this spring.

Here is an image using my equipment & technique:

Click on image to view larger version

FYI, I've also done lots of butterfly photography. I even raised several varieties to get specimens with flawless wings. I can offer lots of advice here if you are interested. Not bragging, just offering help!

Regards,

Stan aka Sewerrat

A general, generic topic Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio" [View all] , RLDubbya , Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"