Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"

553 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio""

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011
Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18 PM

I want to tackle some butterfly / hummingbird photography this spring and summer. We live in the woods, with very little open yard. However, there's a small clearing I want to use; my plan is to hang feeders, plant bright flowers, etc.

The problem is that this is largely shaded. So I think natural light photography is out of the question. Even during the strongest afternoon sun, my typical settings for this area would be something like ISO 100, F/2.8, 1/30 second.

So, I was planning on setting up off-camera flashes in key areas.

Since I doubt that I'll be able to get very close to especially the hummingbirds, I'll have to use a lens with some reach. I'm not even sure that my 70-200/2.8 will have enough reach. I'm wondering about a Bigma.

Thankfully, I left my SB-910 and SB-700 alone in my studio for a week, and when I checked, the herd had grown to include 2 SB-800s, and 2 SB-900s. That gives me 6 off-camera flashes with which to work.

Now, for the questions I know to ask:

Can I use CLS for this project with a 500mm lens? Or will I have to set everything manually? Can I even use the flashes with this much reach, or am I hopelessly wandering down a rabbit hole?

I don't know if CLS will even work given the distances and lighting involved, honestly. If I have to go with PocketWizards, so be it.

I don't have any softboxes, etc at this time. I was thinking of purchasing a some Fong diffusers and powersnoots. Will these be adequate for such a project, or should I consider some other tools?

In the spirit of being a newbie, what am I missing? How would you approach this project?

A general, generic topic Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio" [View all] , RLDubbya , Mon 24-Dec-12 10:18 PM
Reply message RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"