nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS.

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6044 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 15-Dec-12 03:11 AM | edited Sun 16-Dec-12 11:46 AM by Arkayem

>Also where can I find a list of which Nikon flash units are
>compatible with the commander mode?

The only Nikon flashes that will work wirelessly are the SB600, 700, 800, 900, 910. The 700, and 910 are the newest. You can still find deals on the 600 and 800.

Edited: I forgot the SB200, designed mostly for macro work, but will work as a low-power remote, too.

The 600 doesn't have a commander in it and it won't work in SU-4 mode. It works great as a Remote, but it is at least a stop less powerful than the SB800.

I recommend the SB800 if you can find a good one, so you can fire it rapidly, since it won't overheat or slow down under most situations.

The SB800 has the most power of all of these, although it can't zoom quite as far as the 900 and 910, so they can throw their light out a little further, giving them more effective power in long telephoto shots.

Also, be careful with Nikon-speak terminology. When you fire the SB800 wirelessly, it is nat called a 'slave' unless you are using the SU-4 mode. A 'slave' fires whenever it sees another flash, and its power cannot be adjusted wirelessly. When the SB800 is fired using a Commander, it is called a 'Remote' indicating it is fully adjustable wirelessly.

And, CLS does not mean wireless. CLS simply refers to the Monitor Preflash metering system that is used. The SB400 is an example of a CLS flash that will not work wirelessly.

Nikon calls their wireless system Advanced Wireless Lighting or AWL, or sometimes simply Wireless CLS.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

A general, generic topic Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS. [View all] , cnl390 Gold Member, Fri 14-Dec-12 04:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS...