nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

HELP! New to flash photography

Tex09

US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"HELP! New to flash photography"

Tex09 Registered since 01st Dec 2012
Fri 07-Dec-12 09:57 PM

Hi all -- I'm new to flash photography, but not to photography itself. Have a D80, just got a D7000 which will be arriving shortly, along with an SB-700. I've been asked to shoot photos of a therapy dog group, about 20 people and their dogs. It will be at a dog school in a big gymnasium-kind of room, high ceiling, big windows on 2 sides of the room. Even with ambient light, though, it seems a little on the dark side. I've shot before in that room without flash, and I feel like I don't have a good grip on the white balance in that room.

Since dogs are involved, and obviously won't remain completely still for a shot at shutter speed of 1/80, I imagine I should shoot at least at 1/125. I've actually never photographed such large group, but I'm thinking at least f/8 or f/11 since there will be 2 rows of people/dogs.

What do you guys recommend for camera settings and for flash? This is going to be a total learning experience and I'm very excited about it, but at the same time want to do a decent job since everyone is counting on me. I'm been reading through previous posts to trying and determine the best shooting parameters for this situation.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

A topic tagged as having a question HELP! New to flash photography [View all] , Tex09 , Fri 07-Dec-12 09:57 PM
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HELP! New to flash photography luckyphoto Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: HELP! New to flash photography Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: HELP! New to flash photography Tex09
09th Dec 2012