nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Very Basic Flash Question, please help

Kropotkin

Bicester, UK
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help"

Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012
Sat 08-Dec-12 02:00 PM

Hi Lynn

Yes; the camera is telling you that it cannot expose for the background without flash. There is no way you are going to be able to light the whole room. Focus on your subject and getting them properly exposed. I would do it in manual mode and take the following approach:

If they are fast-moving kids I would start perhaps with 125s otherwise you may get motion blur.

Then I would think about aperture. To avoid depth of field problems (I mean areas out of focus that you wanted in focus) I would set to F8 or F5.6 but probably F8.

Take a shot without flash and see what it looks like. That's your basic ambient light contribution. It will probably look a bit underexposed, maybe a lot if there is no natural lighting.

Then use TTL mode on the flash. That will correctly expose the subject. If it under-exposes move closer - don't change the aperture. (I learned this recently by mistake - I chose too wide an aperture and some of my subjects were not in focus). To allow for this I would shoot with quite a wide lens.

If the subject is not in the centre of the frame you will have to use flash lock. If you want to keep it simple just keep your subject in the centre of the frame.

--Justin Wyllie

A general, generic topic Very Basic Flash Question, please help [View all] , Lycale , Wed 05-Dec-12 03:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help