nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Very Basic Flash Question, please help

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6044 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help"

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Thu 06-Dec-12 09:03 PM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 09:04 PM by Arkayem

>Lynn,
>
>About noise & your ISO settings: With the D800 you have
>very little to worry about with a high ISO. You can certainly
>shoot at 1600. My D90 gives me good capture at 800. I would
>recommend you play around with the ISO settings. In the same
>lighting conditions, start test shots at 400 and work your way
>up. I'll bet that even at 3200 you will get good shots if
>you are paying attention to focus & focal length.
>
>Good luck.
>Rima

I would recommend no higher than ISO 800 with the SB600 flash. The problem is that if you set a really high ISO, the SB600 (and SB800) don't set their power low enough for the close shots, because they don't get metered properly at ISO's above about 1000.

When I was shooting weddings for a living, I used ISO 400 for all my indoor shots, with the camera in Manual mode, flash in regular TTL, and started with f/4 and 1/80th. Then, I would adjust my shutter to set the background brightness I wanted.

Occassionally, for some of the long distance shots, especially outdoors, I would increase the ISO up to 3200 with my SB800 on my D3 and D800, and that worked just fine. But close shots were not normally good at high ISO.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

A general, generic topic Very Basic Flash Question, please help [View all] , Lycale Silver Member, Wed 05-Dec-12 03:30 AM
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
05th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Lycale Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Dec 2012
05th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
06th Dec 2012
06th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help RimaB
06th Dec 2012
06th Dec 2012
06th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
06th Dec 2012
09th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Kropotkin
08th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Tinkers Realm
08th Dec 2012
09th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help Kropotkin
10th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Very Basic Flash Question, please help piniongear