Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59898
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Has my SB600 died?" Previous topic | Next topic
cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 25-Nov-12 03:58 PM
792 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to In response to 0

HIXSON, US

R.J.L.

I am sure that I will get flamed for the heresy that I am about to profer, but...

There are a lot of people that have problems with SB600 that either won't startup at all or won't fire.

1) You have been given several hints for improving battery contacts. One more would be to use a paper clip or some such to pry up the contacts on the bottom of the battery chamber.
2) Sometimes the battery chamber can get jostled & it will hit and dislodge the inductor below it from the printed circuit board. Are you comfortable with a soldering iron. WARNING! There is a charge built up on a condenser that if discharged could stop your heart. Here is a link should you want to chance it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling-Nikon-SB-600-Speedlight-Bottom-half-of-the-flash/7682/1
3) The other thing that can go wrong is breaking of the bulb (fresnel?). Some have found the part & repaired it themselves.
4) Some have reported repair charges from Nikon at about $130-$150.
5) I think you have to weigh the risk reward of trying to repair it yourself or having someone else to repair it or purchasing a used working one or a new SB700 (or other) with warranty.

Try googling or binging "SB600 Won't startup", etc. to see more information.

Good Luck!
Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionHas my SB600 died? [View all] , RJLOMMD Gold Member, Thu 22-Nov-12 07:42 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Has my SB600 died?
gbowen Gold Member
22nd Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59898 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.