Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59866
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye" Previous topic | Next topic
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-12 01:24 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hello,
>
>I've just purchased a Gary Fong Collapsable Lightsphere and
>I'm wondering if I will need to raise it up off of the camera
>via a flash bracket in order to avoid issues with Red Eye.

I never used the collapsable one, but I shot hundreds of weddings using the regular Fong Light Sphere. It is a great device! 95% of the time, keep it pointed straight up with the inverted dome installed and shoot in regular TTL. It will send enough light forward for normal exposures out to about 25 feet. Then, the bounced light fills in the rest of the image with soft wrapping light giving almost studio quality. Make sure to keep the shutter high enough to eliminate the ambient on the subject - I usually used 1/80th to 1/160th shutter.

The only time I got any significant red eye was when using a telephoto of 100mm or more. Then, you have to get the flash up higher above the camera to stop it, or simply fix it in post processing like I did.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicGary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye [View all] , chanrahan Silver Member, Tue 20-Nov-12 07:59 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye
mklass Platinum Member
20th Nov 2012
chanrahan Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
jrp Administrator
21st Nov 2012
chanrahan Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
21st Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
21st Nov 2012
chanrahan Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
22nd Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59866 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.