nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20

Drbee

US
5886 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 19-Nov-12 09:36 PM | edited Mon 19-Nov-12 09:36 PM by Drbee

The ISO index on the camera changes the overall exposure including "re-rating" the film. That control alone won't accomplish what you are trying to do which is down rate the strobe for fill.

However, the SB-20 also has a "A" exposure system that meters the flash exposure from the reflected light from the scene (does not use TTL, but a separate sensor in the strobe unit). I don't understand how it could give an accurate exposure if the strobe-unit itself doesn't know about the ISO setting you've chosen for the film (e.g. what you've set on the camera). I believe you have to match the camera setting to the strobe setting using these control to get an accurate exposure.

Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

I actually think you could test this by setting the strobe to "A", choosing different ISO settings on the strobe and then using the open-flash button to trigger the strobe. I think you should be able to see a visible difference in the strobe duration between the minimum and maximum ISO setting.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

A general, generic topic Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20 [View all] , gddenes , Mon 19-Nov-12 06:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20