Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59747
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Is TTL not the best setting?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cerulean Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 01:49 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is TTL not the best setting?"
In response to In response to 7
Sat 10-Nov-12 01:50 AM by Cerulean

La Paz, BO

Thank you so much Russ. I must admit you open insights that could have troubled me if I hadn't tried and fooled with flash as much. What I'm trying to do is hone the result. I realize that on camera flash is flat so the results will only go so far. The need is to roam single handedly with the flash in one hand and the camera in the other is a goal. I want to get good at this because I find that I take a lot of these types of photographs. The night brings out a complex quality in people which is fun to capture.
I was wishy washy about Auto vs. TTL vs. TTL-BL and now I realize that at least TTL will be there in these (night) situations (on camera). Outside in daylight really never worries me because I can ballpark/guess the fill pretty well. In fact daytime I would use a cheaper flash that doesn't even have TTL but forsakes these for simple setting of fractions of full power.

Migs

“ Your first 10000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicIs TTL not the best setting? [View all] , Cerulean Silver Member, Fri 09-Nov-12 05:05 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is TTL not the best setting?
gpoole Platinum Member
09th Nov 2012
Cerulean Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
10th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
Cerulean Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
10th Nov 2012
Cerulean Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
10th Nov 2012
Cerulean Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
10th Nov 2012
Cerulean Silver Member
10th Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59747 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.