nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is TTL not the best setting?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
3950 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is TTL not the best setting?"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 09-Nov-12 05:59 PM

I'm not sure where you read this, but I don't agree. If you have the time and possibly a flash meter, setting the flash(s) to manual and your camera to manual may give you more control and more accurate exposure, but TTL is hard to beat for quick shooting situations.

Note that TTL and TTL-BL are 2 different settings.

The BL in TTL-BL is for balanced. Your camera will try to balance the ambient light with the light produced by the flash. You should use this mode when the flash is used for fill. For example an outdoor portrait with the subject's back to the sun. Often in this mode you will want to dial in some negative flash compensation to keep the fill looking natural.

You should use TTL when the flash is the primary source of light, such as photographing indoors at night. Your camera will ignore the ambient light and set the exposure only based on the flash. The background which is lit mostly by the dim ambient light will probably be dark in your image.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic Is TTL not the best setting? [View all] , Cerulean , Fri 09-Nov-12 05:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is TTL not the best setting?