Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59658
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 09:02 AM
26572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond, US

I have one. I use it rather more than I had expected. It is a specialty device, really not suited for anything other than macro work. This is for a couple of reasons. First, it's a pretty bulky contraption. Second, and probably more importantly, it is not very powerful. That may seem like a problem, but for its intended purpose, it's not: by definition, macro work is done at very close distances, so adding a lot of power to a macro flash just increases the cost and weight of the unit.

The unit works quite well, with really only two drawbacks. First is the manual, which is pretty bad. Even as a reasonably experienced user I found the manual pretty hard to use, although I did figure it out in the end. Also, it does seem to have a limitation on how far it can dial back the flash tubes. I find that every once in a while I get a pretty drastic overexposure when I'm too close and have the aperture wide open - my impression is that the unit has a range of full to 1/32 power or about five stops. Well, no - I just checked the specs and it goes down to 1/64th, so perhaps this is just cockpit error.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicEM-140 DG Macro Flash [View all] , tacomadm18 , Wed 31-Oct-12 02:18 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash
blw Moderator
31st Oct 2012
tacomadm18
31st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
01st Nov 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
01st Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59658 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.