nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EM-140 DG Macro Flash

blw

Richmond, US
27382 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Wed 31-Oct-12 09:02 AM

I have one. I use it rather more than I had expected. It is a specialty device, really not suited for anything other than macro work. This is for a couple of reasons. First, it's a pretty bulky contraption. Second, and probably more importantly, it is not very powerful. That may seem like a problem, but for its intended purpose, it's not: by definition, macro work is done at very close distances, so adding a lot of power to a macro flash just increases the cost and weight of the unit.

The unit works quite well, with really only two drawbacks. First is the manual, which is pretty bad. Even as a reasonably experienced user I found the manual pretty hard to use, although I did figure it out in the end. Also, it does seem to have a limitation on how far it can dial back the flash tubes. I find that every once in a while I get a pretty drastic overexposure when I'm too close and have the aperture wide open - my impression is that the unit has a range of full to 1/32 power or about five stops. Well, no - I just checked the specs and it goes down to 1/64th, so perhaps this is just cockpit error.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic EM-140 DG Macro Flash [View all] , tacomadm18 , Wed 31-Oct-12 02:18 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash