nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rechargable Battery Recommendations - AA

doug_stroud

US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Rechargable Battery Recommendations - AA"

doug_stroud Registered since 05th Oct 2011
Mon 13-Feb-12 11:48 AM

Hello everyone,
This is a really helpful thread. I have been using Eneloops but most of them are all dead now so I came here looking for recommendations of Maha's Powerex which were recommended to me by Zack Arias, flash guru.

When I purchased the Eneloop batteries I had a four bay charger from wherever, years ago. But I was away on a trip and forgot it and purchased a fast charger from Radio Shack.
What I noticed right away was how hot the batteries were coming out of the charger, some much hotter than others. From reading here... "not a good thing". They were so hot that I worried about putting them into my flash until they cooled down. Shortly afterward of using this charger the charger started flashing on certain batteries. I am guessing these batteries were no longer any good, though to be honest I never looked this up, though in hindsight I should have.

I never knew there were different power ratings on the Eneloops- what are the advantages/disadvantages in using the 2000 vs. 2500 w/ respect to flash recycle time, charging time, etc...?

Are most folks here fans of the Eneloop vs. the Powerex or is there not much difference? It looks like I need to purchase a new charger, "smart" charger and which one is recommended? I use about 30 AA batteries. Though I am down to about 12 and need to replace them. The one thing that Zack Arias said was that he replaces his Powerex batteries about once a year. This might be due to the amount of use he puts his through.

Lastly I am looking to purchase the CR123 rechargeable battery for the SU800- What manufacturer/model is good? B&H sells several companies but not Eneloop nor Powerex.

Thanks for the help here

Doug

This is a hot, active topic! Rechargable Battery Recommendations - AA [View all] , BillS52 Silver Member, Sun 16-Oct-11 12:59 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Rechargable Battery Recommendations - AA
Reply message RE: Rechargable Battery Recommendations - cr123 Batteri...