nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Slave with SB800 -- Newbie here -- Moderators plz have ...

tulasinandan

US
126 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"A weired experience"

tulasinandan Registered since 09th Jul 2007
Thu 17-Apr-08 04:56 AM

Sorry guys I was stuck up with my thesis proposal. Trust me! It's not a pleasant experience Well now I'm done with it and passed it.

Wayne thanks for the nice explanation. I returned the Sunpak 433 and ordered the Sunpak 383 instead. I will buy some triggers for it too.

Well the idea of manual mode was certainly known to me but I had never tried it. I did try it after getting the SB800 and the it is slowly sinking in to me. I went through something weired over the weekend.

I was in the local mall here. I went to the Ritz camera shop in an anticipation of getting some info from the experienced salesmen there. I still had not initiated the return process with B&H so I thought I might even end up buying flash from there itself. I went to the salesman and told him that I wanted a cheap flash to use with my SB800. He told me that I can "only use Nikon flashes remotely". I had some different impression. I said some people told me that I can use cheap flashes like Sunpak383 with some optical triggers.

He said if I try to use such a system, the remote flash would fire during the pre-flashes and I can not use any other flash with the Nikon system. I got a little confused and tried to ask in more detail that what if I do not use the TTL and just use everything in fully manual mode. Or in a fixed setup I could use the FV lock to prevent the pre-flahses during the shoot.

As I was trying to tell him what people told me to clarify if I understood things right, he practically snatched the flash unit I was looking at and said "Well you know much more than I do. I've only been doing it for 10 years. Have a good day!!" I was shocked and just walked out of the store.

Was I wrong in trying to clarify whether I understood things right? I went there expecting to discuss something with some experienced person and maybe get to know a little more but the salesman somehow got offended. I did not have any intention of showing off (I don't even know enough to explain what I know to others let alone show off). I guess maybe my way of describing my understanding was wrong, or maybe I did something else wrong. But I did feel bad as I did not have any wrong intentions. I was just trying to make sure that I understand things right and maybe learn something new too.

Do I have the right understanding of things? Or was I making a fool of myself trying to clarify things that I learned during my online search?

Best,
Tulasi

P.S. Could someone please tell me the names of the triggers that you use for remote slaves? That might help me in searching for the right triggers.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tulasinandan/
http://flickr.com/photos/tulasinandan

Pinned topic Slave with SB800 -- Newbie here -- Moderators plz have ... [View all] , tulasinandan , Mon 31-Mar-08 10:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Slave with SB800
          Reply message A weired experience
               Reply message RE: A weired experience
          Reply message Respect........
Reply message RE: Slave with SB800 -- Newbie here -- Moderators plz h...
     Reply message RE: Combining CLS with Pocket Wizards