nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #30593
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Slave with SB800" Previous topic | Next topic
Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Wed 02-Apr-08 03:55 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Slave with SB800"
In response to In response to 5
Wed 02-Apr-08 04:06 PM by Wayne

US

My concern is that you are trying to do the job the cheapest and hardest possible way, but without yet having the knowledge to accomplish that very difficult feat (of making the wrong gear work).

I dont know about these specific flashes, but they are flashes, so...

>1)
>383
>is a generic flash but it does not have TTL detection. Does
>that mean I will have to buy more accesories to trigger it in
>slave mode? I guess I will have to set it manually in slave
>mode.

Very few camera flashes have a built-in slave mode, virtually none. SB-800 is one that does (and virtually all studio lights do). Otherwise, you can (usually) use a direct sync cord, or you can add an accessory for optical slave trigger or a radio slave trigger. (SB-600 is particularly fussy about those however).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/1174/Flash_Accessories_Radio_Optical_Slaves.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

>2)
>433
>has TTL detection so I think it eliminates the above problems.
>But I will have to chose the mount to be Nikon. In that case
>will I be able to use it with other camera hot-shoes too?? If
>I can then I would go for this one only as it is only $10 more
>than the 383.

It is not the hot shoe mount that is Nikon, it is the electronics, and the mode of operation. It has a hot shoe and will physically fit the hot shoe on any camera. However the specs on this one says "Manual Mode: NO", so it sounds like Nikon iTTL is its only available mode, and that other cameras will be shut out. I dont really know, but I would try to understand that well before purchase.

>I tried to look for some kind of flash compatibility chart but
>could not locate one. I've learned a little about flashes
>through the reading I've done in the past 2-3 days but I think
>it is not sufficient enough to make a decision. Any help in
>clarifying the confusion will be greatly appreciated.

Flash Compatibility Chart:

Manual flashes (flashes with manual mode):
The flash should have a manual mode and the camera should have a manual mode. There are several configurations of sync cord connector, this varies, but only one style will fit it. Or if you want slave operation, you need a slave trigger accessory attachment that can attach to that flash, either hot shoe or the sync cord connector (except the SB-800 has one optical slave trigger built-in). The SB-600 has Manual mode, but it has no sync connector to trigger it, only the hot shoe.

iTTL: Dunno, you are sort of in never never land seeking third party gear for the proprietary Nikon system. The compatible flashes for the Nikon DSLR are the SB-800 and SB-600. There are some 3rd party flashes offering iTTL too, for about $100 cheaper, but are very new, and we dont hear much about them, and the results are not in yet.

iTTL is incompatible with manual mode flashes, or with flashes in manual mode, and are incompatible with optical slave triggers for manual mode. Because, iTTL flash (all digital camera auto flash) fires a preflash before shutter is open, which the camera meters, and then sets the power level of the flash to be correct exposure, and then opens shutter and triggers the flash. Technically, all auto digital camera flash fires this preflash... iTTL is just Nikons name for their system. But that is how the system works. Digital camera flash is an all new ball game from film camera flash.

So, that digital preflash will trigger any manual optical slave before the shutter is open, so that it can not contribute (it is finished before the shutter opens), it only messes up the metering for the iTTL gear. So.. all flashes and the camera must be in manual mode to use manual flashes. iTTL mode is not compatible with manual mode flash slaves.

iTTL requires a iTTL compatible flash. That is the SB-800 or SB-600, or maybe these new 3rd party trying to get into the game. Not much is known yet about them.

Plus, iTTL is a one flash system, for a flash connected to the hot shoe (for the communication from the camera). It is NOT a multiple flash system, and it is NOT a remote system and it is NOT a slave system. It is pretty much a Nikon system, for auto flash on the hot shoe.

However, Nikon does ALSO have another multiple flash wireless remote system using iTTL metering, also using the Commander in the camera internal flash, or the SU-800 commander, or the SB-800 can be a commander. The flash units must be a SB-800 or SB-600 (NOT a SB-400 for example). There are a couple of 3rd party tying to get into this too, but apparently results are poor so far, they do not actually claim it works. This is an awesome system, an automatic remote wireless multiple flash system. Anything less is like buying a horse to pull your new Ferrari.

There are some new 3rd party radio triggers coming that are said to be Nikon Remote Wireless compatible. Nothing is known yet about how well they work.

Good luck with this very difficult task. Maybe some of these unknown 3rd party options might be made to work, but their choice will be quite difficult without experience and compete understanding. The only simple solution will be manual mode, all flashes and the camera in manual mode, but then you must set the correct exposure yourself.

Two SB-600 will cost $370 at B&H for two of them (if you want two). There is MUCH to be said for that plan, it will be awesome, for the automatic point&shoot multiple flash Nikon remote wireless system, for use with the commander in the D80, D200, D300 cameras. Or for hot shoe mounted iTTL flash for walk-around use. But for manual mode, not so much with the SB-600.

But (the only likely problem) - if the camera is a D40 or D50, then it does not have commander capability, so you also need the $250 SU-800 commander for remote wireless multiple flash instead.

And if you might ultimately want to use manual flash for some jobs, the SB-600 is inadequate, has no means to trigger it, so you need SB-800 instead for manual uses (like studio work).

The SB-800 has a bit more power, and many more features, but the SB-600 is great for one camera hot shoe iTTL, or for the Nikon Remote Wirless multiple flash system.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

Pinned topicSlave with SB800 -- Newbie here -- Moderators plz have ... [View all] , tulasinandan , Mon 31-Mar-08 11:13 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Slave with SB800
Wayne
01st Apr 2008
tulasinandan
01st Apr 2008
Wayne
01st Apr 2008
tulasinandan
01st Apr 2008
tulasinandan
01st Apr 2008
smh
02nd Apr 2008
Wayne
02nd Apr 2008
smh
02nd Apr 2008
tulasinandan
02nd Apr 2008
Wayne
02nd Apr 2008
smh
02nd Apr 2008
tulasinandan
03rd Apr 2008
Wayne
03rd Apr 2008
smh
03rd Apr 2008
          Reply message A weired experience
tulasinandan
17th Apr 2008
               Reply message RE: A weired experience
Wayne
21st Apr 2008
TrumanPhotoArt
20th Dec 2009
          Reply message Respect........
michaelsutton555
26th Apr 2008
TrumanPhotoArt
20th Dec 2009
srath Silver Member
20th Jul 2010
Reply message RE: Slave with SB800 -- Newbie here -- Moderators plz h...
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
21st Apr 2008
smh
21st Apr 2008
iamunique127 Silver Member
30th Apr 2008
k8do
12th May 2008
billcal
12th Jun 2008
billcal
12th Jun 2008
zukester
29th Aug 2008
tulasinandan
30th Aug 2008
Photobradshaw
08th Dec 2008
Bruce16
14th Sep 2008
jstuedle Silver Member
29th Sep 2008
targa912
13th Nov 2008
jstuedle Silver Member
08th Dec 2008
NikonGuy67
28th Jan 2009
Tony G
15th Feb 2009
Tony G
21st Feb 2009
     Reply message RE: Combining CLS with Pocket Wizards
photomia Silver Member
19th Feb 2012
winthrop Silver Member
13th Apr 2009
jdp1956
05th Jun 2009
JerryT
17th Oct 2010
Ragarm
29th Dec 2011
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Jun 2014

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #30593 Previous topic | Next topic