nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Time for a new battery on D60?

blw

Richmond, US
27182 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 02-Jul-12 11:40 AM

I agree that a second battery is a good idea. Although a charger could fail, they are pretty unlikely to go, and even if one did, you can likely buy another one in most American cities. A battery is a much more likely failure - although more than likely, the failure is a human one than an outright technical fault. (e.g., forget to charge it, run it too long, too many LiveView, etc.)

Ballpark camera life expectancy for most folks will be "longer than necessary." 50,000 cycles doesn't sound like very much compared to the current pro cameras that have a design life of 400,000, but if you average 75 frames per week every week, the 50k will last you nearly 15 years. It's certainly possible to use the camera more - but most people don't, not by a wide margin.

As far as battery life goes, my D100 batteries (similar but not identical design to your D60) are still entirely usable - and I got them in late 2003 or early 2004. They haven't had as much use as my later cameras, but probably not an awful lot less than what most D60's see. I have about 26,000 frames on the D100, about 3300 per year, or about 65 per week. (My main cameras do about 25,000 per year between them.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Time for a new battery on D60? [View all] , BillinBoston Gold Member, Mon 25-Jun-12 04:16 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Time for a new battery on D60?