Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44134
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60" Previous topic | Next topic
BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Tue 19-Jun-12 05:39 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60"
In response to In response to 21

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

1. How do I know if I'm in BL mode or not? Under what conditions is it IMPORTANT to set, or not set, for BL?

2. I bought my SB800 used, with no manual. Can you give me a link to one? Biggest question right now: Significance of mm numbers 24 through 105? Better Beamer says put setting on "50"--why? If range to subject varies from 5 feet to 75 feet, is 50 the best setting for all?

3. Many of my outdoor flash bird pictures are good. Some are not. Biggest problem seems to be underexposing in low to medium-low light. Setting is typically Aperture priority 7.1, Better Beamer IN use (set at 50mm). Subject 15-25 feet away. Some back light. What is problem? How to correct? (If I wanted to include a picture, with camera data available, how do I do that?)

4. What is typical recycle time on SB800? How many flashes in 10 seconds before no flash occurs? (By the way, if Flash is cycled-out, will the shutter still release, so that I am unaware of just having shot "in the dark"?)

5. I'm visiting the National Aviary in Pittsburgh in early July. Typical large indoor environment, birds flying around, some pretty far away. Will be using 300 F4, with 1.4 TC. Any idea if using Better Beamer is better than plain SB800?

6. If shooting birds indoors with a flash, what is best camera setting? Aperture priority? Automatic? Other? I find that it is difficult, when shooting small birds with a flash, to be able to adjust to rapidly changing light conditions, from no back light to heavy back light. My D60 can flash between 1/60 and 1/200, from F5.6 to F32. I would prefer to over-expose, rather than under-expose. What is a good approach: A. For camera settings; B. For flash settings; C. For photographing strategies.

7. Am still in learning stage with flash photography. Sometimes get bird movement mini-blur even with flash. What setting change, if any, would eliminate this problem?

8. How do I find out the dates, times, and places of Nikon TTL Flash courses? Is any of this on-line? Good DVD's?

9. If I suspect that a particular question of mine has already been asked, and answered, on Nikonians, how do I navigate myself to that location (to answer #8, for example)?

A lot of questions here, Marty. Please feel free to answer only one or a few at a time. Also, if you think that any of the above questions would be better played as a general post, please tell me. I don't want to monopolize your valuable time.

Many thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!AF bird lens advice needed for D60 [View all] , BillinBoston Silver Member, Fri 09-Mar-12 01:14 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60
MEMcD Moderator
09th Mar 2012
BillinBoston Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Mar 2012
10th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
10th Mar 2012
10th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
10th Mar 2012
10th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Mar 2012
11th Mar 2012
11th Mar 2012
16th Mar 2012
09th Mar 2012
master drago
14th Mar 2012
16th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Mar 2012
06th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Apr 2012
17th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jun 2012
19th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
21st Jun 2012
25th Jun 2012
Lighter Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
26th Jun 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44134 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.