nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF bird lens advice needed for D60

BillinBoston

Hyde Park, MA, US
108 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60"

BillinBoston Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012
Fri 09-Mar-12 06:46 AM

Hi Marty,

A thousand thanks for your very informative and speedy reply.

Q-1. So I guess I was wrong in thinking that the Nikon website said that the D60 could not handle a teleconverter?

Q-2. Any idea what the 14E and the 17E cost? And, can I use these with the Sigma lenses, or would I need a Sigma teleconverter?

Q-3. I run all of my images through Photoshop Elements. If I were to compare the final photographs from my Nikkor F4 to my Sigma 4.5 or 5.0, what would I see in terms of graininess? Would the Sigma have significantly more, just a tiny bit more, etc.?

Q-4. If I won the lottery, bought a Nikkor F2.8 300 for nearly $5,000, then compared its results with the Nikkor F4 (and the Sigmas as well), on a comparative scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the overall results from each lens?

Q-5. If a dozen photographers, who all considered each other as semi-professional, got together to consider using the Nikkor F4 300, and the two Sigmas mentioned in your reply, along with appropriate teleconverters, would they as a group SERIOUSLY consider making these lenses their "lenses" of choice for bird photography? The reason I ask is that I don't know that much about comparative lens results. When I hang out in person or on the web with true semi-professionals later this year, will my work that came out of these three lenses have the possibility of measuring up favorably to theirs? I don't want to spend less than $2,000 if all that I can produce are amateur results. I've been a landscape and butterfly photographer for twenty years, and have, like anyone, picked up some skills along the way. This lens will probably be the last major photographic purchase that I make in my lifetime, being already 64. I'm hoping, with your help and that of other Nikonians, that it will be the right purchase.

Q-6. Given my age and all of the above, do you recommend my buying new or used, and from whom?

Sorry that this round took longer than the first. I would understand if you wanted to drop out.

Again, many thanks Marty, and best wishes in your own shooting.

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! AF bird lens advice needed for D60 [View all] , BillinBoston Gold Member, Fri 09-Mar-12 01:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60