nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

want to learn to shoot in more than auto

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: want to learn to shoot in more than auto"

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Mon 04-Jun-12 12:54 PM | edited Mon 04-Jun-12 02:01 PM by musical

Here's my take on it. Note: I am a hobbyist, not pro. Well, I just mean that a pro or newspaper mentality might be its own thing, (like a simple: fast f8-and-be-there rule). Ok so, randomly:
THIS IS NOT in place of much further study.
try S mode for any evening, indoors event such as a party or stage show. It's sort of complex, like once locked in S mode, I test one picture, then adjust EV and iso at almost the same time. I used S mode to avoid letting shutter drop below 1/60th; I get "postal" over blurred stage pictures. Background dark leads to an overexposed face, or background bright leads to an underexposed face. This is all existing light, unless... for slow flash blur effect, all the same but dropping shutter down to 1/15th and the flash freezes.
Ok, you're thinking, cool, easy, "I got it." Now what about A mode.
(I kidding sometimes, it's all no harder than, let's say, algebra or physics.)

With A mode, I use that in brighter lite portraits, where I want bokeh and the more generous daylight would otherwise stop the lens down in auto; then down with iso and shutter speeds get to (sort of cool) numbers like 1/4000th.
Or... for macro/tripod: A mode forces me (oops allows me) to put the aperture way high for huge depth of field, or forced shallow DOF.
So for me, I sort of juggle four indices (or indexes) rather than three because I use EV more within those modes-- or even just to M mode. And well, I'm looking at the histogram at this point.
As for the histogram, I avoid spikes on the right side. I love shadows (the left side) but hate bleached spots in the subject-- lovingly called blown-out areas.
The human eye sees maybe double the light range of any camera. We might have just bumped into "thinking like a camera" rather than a human. Your eyes see maybe 11 stops of light range while your camera maybe just 5.
I have be typing/thinking too much and if so I humbly apologize. Seriously.
My very best wishes as your push ahead. The rewards are very great.
Try any technique and then explain that in detail in the C&C forum here with your sample photo, and ask for encouragement and really fantastic advise.
jw

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."/>rick sammon

A general, generic topic want to learn to shoot in more than auto [View all] , primrose , Sun 30-Oct-11 02:51 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: want to learn to shoot in more than auto