Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43826
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Stupid lens on D60? (500mm Cad)" Previous topic | Next topic
SMMAssociates Registered since 28th Aug 2011Wed 07-Sep-11 09:23 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Stupid lens on D60? (500mm Cad)"
In response to In response to 17

US

Marty:

Your explanation is correct, except that since the camera is metering wide open, and can detect a non-CPU lens (at least well enough to laugh at me ), there's no reason it can't consider the present (wide open) aperture is the shooting aperture, and not worry about trying to change it.

It can still set the appropriate shutter speed....

Worst case would be a need to use the thumbwheel to set the viewing/metering/shooting aperture into the CPU. I can't see bothering with that.

You do lose wide-open metering & viewing, but that's probably not intolerable. We didn't used to have that anyway - OK, that was 1972, but....

I think I mentioned a tele I had with two aperture rings. One set the actual shooting aperture - for non-wide-open metering. The other one opened the lens back up for viewing. When you were ready to shoot, you turned that second ring back to the shooting aperture. The advantage was in not having to look to be sure you got back to the right setting. The disadvantage, well....

(Tri-X can save your backside sometimes if you forget.... I also found that I could process C41 films in B&W chemistry to get an effective ASA of something like 4000. Grains as big as footballs, but superb for available darkness surveillance work.)

My old Exactas had a preset lever on the lenses that you turned to "wide open" after metering. Pressing the shutter release closed the aperture. Pretty well idiot proof unless you tried to meter wide open, but you did have to crank the preset back open for focusing/viewing real fast sometimes.

No regrets, though, although once in a while I pick up the N6006 and remember all the fun I had with it. It just feels better .... Lots of film through that thing.... I used the D60 at my niece's wedding a couple years ago, though. The new flash is definitely better, the lenses slightly better (the VR feature was handy), and I didn't need a bearer to help carry the thing .... Sent the digital files to SnapFish. I don't think I printed a single frame here. (Which is kinda funny, 'cause I have three inkjets good enough for 3R or 4R prints, and that was all I really wanted. Snapfish is cheaper ....)

I did my brother-in-law's wedding (again, just as a guest) about 20 years ago, with the N4004. No problems at all, except that I was using a monster VHS camcorder, too, and my wife's cousin - about 21 at the time - and his dad both got seriously happy before the service, and I had to try to get the tape, take a few stills, and keep them from knocking both cameras off their tripods....

(I've shot "backup", as a guest, dozens of times - I work around the professionals, and work with them to be sure I don't muck up a shot, for example.)

Regards,

Why just a quick note when you can write a novel?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!Stupid lens on D60? (500mm Cad) [View all] , SMMAssociates , Sun 28-Aug-11 07:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Stupid lens on D60? (500mm Cad)
aolander Silver Member
28th Aug 2011
SMMAssociates
28th Aug 2011
MEMcD Moderator
29th Aug 2011
SMMAssociates
29th Aug 2011
MEMcD Moderator
30th Aug 2011
SMMAssociates
30th Aug 2011
briantilley Moderator
30th Aug 2011
SMMAssociates
30th Aug 2011
briantilley Moderator
31st Aug 2011
SMMAssociates
31st Aug 2011
aolander Silver Member
28th Aug 2011
blw Moderator
05th Sep 2011
SMMAssociates
05th Sep 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Sep 2011
SMMAssociates
06th Sep 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Sep 2011
MEMcD Moderator
07th Sep 2011
SMMAssociates
07th Sep 2011
briantilley Moderator
07th Sep 2011
SMMAssociates
07th Sep 2011
petie3 Silver Member
17th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
12th Sep 2011

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43826 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.