Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43670
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Zeikos battery grip for D60" Previous topic | Next topic
htan Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2009Mon 09-May-11 06:32 PM
424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zeikos battery grip for D60"
In response to In response to 0

Ringoes, US

Hi Ray,

I haven't used the Zeikos, but have the Opteka brand for my D60. I love how it handles and the fact that my pinky can now also hold the camera body.

Here's my review of the Opteka. (from amazon.com)

Just received my Opteka Battery Grip today. It was ordered thru 47th Street Photo and arrived 6 days before the estimated arrival date. Awesome! Surprisingly the 2 batteries it came with were 1400mAh (2800mAh altogether, WOOHOO!) instead of the advertised 1200mAh. Just right off the bat, the experience is headed for a good start.

Installation was very easy. The battery grip even came with an illustrated instruction on how to remove the battery door. Bottom-line, open the door 45 degrees and slide the door out. The battery compartment has a slot where you can slide the battery door and it holds it in snugly. The battery grip gets screwed into the tripod mount and needs a slight tweak as you're tightening the screw so it fit snugly. I have to say, they're mounted together pretty good and tight (a good tight).

The battery compartment slides out of the side and I have the option of using either the 2 EN-EL9 batteries or 6 AAs. Even with the two batteries, the body doesn't feel that heavy. I have the Nikon 18-200mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6 lens so the addition of the battery grip balances the appearance of the camera. I have to admit, since this is a big lens, it is still heavier than the body with battery grip and 2 batteries, so the lens would tilt the camera forward. (Just an added piece of information in case you have this lens, doesn't really affect my opinion of the battery grip).

The appearance of the battery grip complements the body of the D60. The crackle finish of the camera can also be found on the grip. Even the lines at the bottom of the camera is complemented by the battery grip giving the appearance that they were meant for each other.

The battery feels comfortable and my pinky doesn't have to bend at the bottom of the camera (pre-battery grip). The right side of the camera and grip can now rest against my palm. My other palm can support the bottom of the battery grip giving more room for the fingers to rotate the zoom/focus.

The vertical shutter button is a nice feature. I may use it from time-to-time, but it definitely requires 1) switching the vertical release shutter to "On"; 2) popping out the infrared-sensor from the battery grip; 3) pressing the "Fn" button and selecting the "Quick-Response Remote" option. I had to do a one-time setup in the D60 that programs the Fn button (go to Menu->Custom Setting Menu->11. Timer/Fn button->Select "Release Mode"). After this one-time setup, I just have to invoke 1-2-and-3 above to activate the vertical shutter. One thing that takes getting used to is there's no half-step when pressing the vertical release button so the camera focuses, then snaps the picture. Just catches you off-guard initially.

Overall, while I was initially skeptical and contemplating between this and the Targus (I can't comment on the Targus since I didn't order it) I'd have to say I'm very happy with this battery grip and it definitely gives the D60 a whole new appearance, added battery life and ergonomic benefit. In my opinion it definitely does not make the camera "cheesy-looking".

Cheers,
Hector
Flemington, NJ Nikonian

Hector Tan Photography

My Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionZeikos battery grip for D60 [View all] , SabreFlyr Silver Member, Thu 05-May-11 05:33 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zeikos battery grip for D60
James23p Moderator
06th May 2011
SabreFlyr Silver Member
06th May 2011
htan Silver Member
09th May 2011

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43670 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.