Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Replacement for my 18-55 kit lens

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Replacement for my 18-55 kit lens "

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 23-Feb-11 01:31 PM | edited Wed 23-Feb-11 01:33 PM by briantilley

Welcome to Nikonians, Wayne

The 18-55mm DX Nikkors are actually pretty good performers - it won't be easy to get much better quality from another lens within your budget.

The first two lenses you list are the same; there is only one 18-105mm Nikkor. It has greater range than your 18-55mm, and has VR (it's not clear whether your kit lens is the VR version), but in terms of image quality it's not a big improvement.

There is no 17-80mm Nikkor. The AF-S DX 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is the closest to that range, and is probably the best of the Nikkors it its price bracket. The 18-70mm (which is discontinued) lacks VR but might be a slight improvement on your 18-55mm.

May I suggest you check out our Nikkor Lenses Forum for further details?

Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Replacement for my 18-55 kit lens [View all] , Poynton2011 , Wed 23-Feb-11 01:11 PM
Reply message RE: Replacement for my 18-55 kit lens