Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43439
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Problem with my D40" Previous topic | Next topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 04:34 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem with my D40"
In response to In response to 4

US

Hi Juan,

The simple things to check:
1. The exposure mode. If it was inadvertantly changed to Manual (M) with a fast shutter speed and or with the aperture stopped down that could easily be the cause of your problem. You might also want to try different exposure modes and see if there is a problem with the mode dial.
2. Exposure Compensation. Though less likely, check the Exposure Compensation and make sure it is set to zero.
3. Is the viewfinder dark? If yes, Make sure the lens is fully mounted and locked in the mount. If it is still dark, the problem could be the stop down mechinism on the camera or a sticking diaphragm in the lens.
4. Is the shutter opening? Place the camera in Manual exposure mode. Set a slow shutter speed like 1/2 sec. Remove the lens. Turn the camera on and release the shutter while looking into the light box. The mirror should go up and the shutter should open for a 1/2 sec. then close.
If everything is working normally, and the images are still black, it is time to send the camera in to Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Repair Station.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionProblem with my D40 [View all] , juanehr , Tue 04-Jan-11 02:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem with my D40
TomCurious
04th Jan 2011
juanehr
04th Jan 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Jan 2011
juanehr
05th Jan 2011
05th Jan 2011
juanehr
07th Jan 2011
07th Jan 2011
juanehr
11th Jan 2011

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43439 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.