nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
chewie

Petaling Jaya, MY
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: RAW or JPEG?"

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008
Thu 03-Mar-11 01:46 PM

Better late than never...replying this post I mean.

For me, I started out with JPEG only for a year and a half (this is my third year having a DSLR, let alone a D40). I know that JPEG is tougher to fix errors (mostly my errors) and that's the primary reason for me to shoot in JPEG. This is especially good if I'm a beginner. This way, I force myself to do everything right the first time. Being a beginner and using JPEG, I tend to observe my mistakes more accurately than my friend (also a photography buddy - he's having a D80). I tend to be more aware of my shots more often and so I improve my shots that way(at least I believe I did).

Now, I switched to RAW, and tend to edit it more often. Yes, my photographs looked better through editing but I wouldn't have to drag from the mud if I didn't get it as much right as I did the first time. The primary reason for me to switch to RAW is because of White Balance. Other than small amounts of touch-ups (whitening of teeth, removing dusts, straightening of horizons, etc), exposure-wise, I tend to think "JPEG". That would help me in discovering how my camera, built-in meter and different lenses behave in different lighting environment.

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

I've learned that I have alot more to learn...

A general, generic topic RAW or JPEG? [View all] , bailey407 , Fri 31-Dec-10 05:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG?