Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252450
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 03:38 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to In response to 2

West Valley, US

It sounds to me like you did very well!

Depending on what you had before, in my experience, my D90 was really confusing at first, but a month or so with it and 3 manuals, and I am figuring it out. Buy a manual...the Nikonians D 90 manual looks to be a good one. I checked out "The D90 for Dummies" from the local library, and it helped tremendously. As you may imagine, I am not a techy person.

Lenses...they are all good! Disregerd comments like: The (fill in the blank) is not sharp wide open. Most lenses aren't, till you get into the megabuck big guns. But, most are extremely adequate for almost any normal use.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good lens,and light; 75mm equivalent on the DX D90, but not something I use a lot.

For great utility, as was mentioned, the 18-105 is a good, sharp lens, as is the red-headed stepchild, the 18-135. My absolute favorite "walking-around" lens is my old 28-105 D lens. I know, it is only a 42mm equivlalent on the DX D 90, but I don't use really wide all that much. I like it better than my 18-70, which is on my wife's camera. Any of the four will be an excellent lens, and won't break the bank.

My buddy, who sells his photos, has the older, compact Sigma 18-200 that he uses almost all the time on his Canon, instead of several of his other lenses, especially the Sigma 150-500. (Can't say as I blame him, there!)

Aperture? Don't worry about it! I shot my granddaughter's indoor tennis match with my D50 and the 28-105,(3.5-4.5) with good results, and, DUH! I forgot to raise the ISO from 200.

Soooo...pick a lens, any lens that appeals, attach it to the camera, attach your camera to your shoulder, and sally forth to commit photography!

Cheers!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicFirst SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good? [View all] , fino831 , Thu 07-Feb-13 03:50 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?
Rassie Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th Feb 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
meat
09th Feb 2013
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
12th Feb 2013
mohd zahid
06th Mar 2013
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
mohd zahid
07th Mar 2013
meat
09th Mar 2013
suzyk Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
18th Feb 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252450 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.