Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

West Valley, US
664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrade question"

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:21 PM | edited Sun 30-Dec-12 05:23 PM by mkbee1

I've had my D90 about a week ,and am reading manuals, etc, learning how to use it. Really cold weather and a blasted head cold have kept me indoors, but I like it a lot, because there are several things that in my mind are upgrades from my D 50, which now my wife has appropriated.

I may miss the 1/500 sec flash sync speed, but not yet. It wasn't fast enough to eliminate all of the ghost image from some hummingbird photos with my D50, but did realy well, and 1/200 sec will be adequate for most things, I think.

First, the focusing is upgraded...11 sensors instead of the 5 for the D 50 or D70, and , it seems to focus faster. The camera's default focus setting is a marvel to me...but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it, after 50+ years of using some sort of rangefinder/central spot/split image focusing device, but it will become more of a fit with use. The manual doesn't seem to adequately explain what it does, or why.

A big thing for me, though, is the ability to use my AF-D lenses, my Tokina 100 Macro, and any others of a newer type I may wish to buy. When someone speaks of "old" design, or technology, I always think; "Compared to what?" Bypassed or obsoleted with the more bells and whistles of newer cameras, which were added to give the competiton one in the eye, perhaps, but,"new and improved" is usually a ploy from the marketing department to make us dissatisfied with what we have, and "need" a new toy. Perhaps, but the D90 is still a formidable piece of technology, capable of excellent work.

I used my office's D 70 before I retired, and it always seemed a bit large to me. The D 50 and D90 are both smaller,iirc, and just fit me better.

Of course, the Megapixels are higher than either the D70 or D50, which will be handy for enlargements/cropping of my images.

And the capability for Commander flash with my SB 600, Monochrome (Black-and-White) photography,with fiter effects I can dial in, and multiple exposure capability are all very subjective, but part of the things I thought I would like to have, that my D50 can't do.

I don't believe you will be disappointed if you do decide to upgrade.

Good Luck!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrade question [View all] , DavidN4 Silver Member, Sat 29-Dec-12 03:39 PM
Reply message RE: Upgrade question