nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
pasknucklehead

US
1457 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: question about birds"

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008
Tue 27-Nov-12 05:59 PM | edited Tue 27-Nov-12 06:02 PM by pasknucklehead

Hey guys, another quick question, well, you know I never seem to have QUICK questions, but here goes. The senerio for this next image as well as the one right under the hawk photos was taken from across the field. I was driving down the road when I saw about 5 eagles and vulchers eating something. I soooo wanted to get closer because I knew my 300 just wasn't going to do it, but when I got out of the car, there between me and the field was a ditch full of water, and of course, it had to run the whole lenght of the road. So I couldn't do anything but stand there frustrated. But I made the best of it, shut the car off, tried not to get run over as the cars were passing me and left the passenger side door open so I could lean my camera on it.
Where I live, we don't ever see eagles, and I was in heaven.... It was soooooo amazing...I didn't care that they were eating something dead, I just cared that they were still there with me out of the car and staring at them. I think they were probably about a football field away, not sure, but I will attach a photo right out of my camera and you can see how much my 300 pulled in. Oh and if any of you want to know where I was, well, I started just to go to conowingo maryland for the day, even though I wasn't lens wise prepared, but just wanted to go for the heck of it...While there, someone mentioned about the eagles in Cambridge Maryland at the Blackwater wildlife Refuge and I thought, what the heck, 2 more hours to my trip wouldn't kill me. I NEVER dreamed I'd see so many eagles. There were tons of them flying around everywhere. It was a sight that's for sure. But anyways, back to me and my question. I will definetly be making the trip next year again, that's for sure, and I want to be prepared this time. I know I need a longer lens, and will rent one, because this isn't actually my everyday style of photography and can't see putting my house up for sell to buy a lens for bird photography. But I do want to get some better shots, and I know I can. I want to have something that I can take the shots with the eagles flying and also have something that I can support on a tripod if I get the chance at these pictures I've just got. So my question, what would suit me? Something not totally so heavy I can't hand hold it, yet something that will get me better coverage. Any suggestions. I will attach the photo below to show you what my 300 got, and you tell me what would get me closer, that is besides, swimming across that ditch full of water and running across that field like a raving maniac. Now, I wouldn't do that....remember my last escursion on here about chasing those birds so I could get a good bird flying picture, this little girl learned her lesson about that....hehehe So guys, tell me what you think. and is renting expensive, and what if I break it.....? And also, is this soft because it is so far away? I mean I had the car off and tried to be very steady and used autofocus.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Darlene

This is a hot, active topic! question about birds [View all] , pasknucklehead Silver Member, Mon 26-Nov-12 11:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: question about birds