nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252117
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!" Previous topic | Next topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 21-Nov-12 04:56 PM
29358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to In response to 0

Paignton, UK

Yes, what you see through the viewfinder will be what is in the image.

That's the simple answer - at the risk of introducing unnecessary detail, the viewfinder on the D90 shows about 95% of the final image because of the way it's designed. That's nothing to do with the lens or DX / FX, though - the D700 which is an FX camera does the same sort of thing.

I only mention the 95% because if it's important that you capture exactly what you see (and because someone would correct me if I left it out) then using Live View on the rear monitor would be better as that shows precisely 100%.

For a wide lens to complement the 35-70mm, you'd be looking for something with an upper focal length around 35mm - and that applies whether you'd be using the lens on a D90 or an FX camera. Maybe your best option would be the AF-S VR 16-35mm f/4G Nikkor.

However... if you really never intend to go to the FX format (and many people don't) it may be an idea to look at a single lens that could replace the 35-70mm and cover the wide end. In that case, I'd recommend looking at the AF-S DX VR 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G Nikkor, which would go as wide as the 16-35mm, AND a bit longer than the 35-70mm.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicCrop factor on D90 one more time! [View all] , limeyzen Silver Member, Wed 21-Nov-12 04:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
21st Nov 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
21st Nov 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252117 Previous topic | Next topic