nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

question about organizing

kplee

Richland, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: question about organizing"

kplee Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2009
Fri 07-Sep-12 02:01 AM

I'm far from the most organized person but thought I'd share my opinion. I would load all the files onto the portable drive and use a cataloging software to search the photos from the drive. I'd continue to maintain the files on CDs/DVDs so that when the hard disk fails you have a backup (preferably kept in a separate location). The archival life of the CD/DVDs is not permanent though and should not be thought of as such.

I myself have 65 Gb of photos and videos on my desktop, backed up on a separate external drive (connected to the desktop), backed up on a portable hard drive that is left at the office and some of it backed up on DVDs in a fire-rated box (mostly family photos that cannot be replaced or retaken). I sync the portable once or twice a month so I only run the risk of losing a few weeks of files in the event of a serious loss of data (both the desktop connected drives). I'm not burning DVDs as frequently. A more organized person would probably not have as much wasted redundancy but Mbs are cheap.

Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic question about organizing [View all] , pasknucklehead Silver Member, Fri 07-Sep-12 01:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: question about organizing