Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251657
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-12 09:23 PM
6019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Dear Nikonians--need your expert advice.
>
>The concept is a picture of someone taking the last step down
>a dimly lit spiral staircase, so that there is motion but the
>figure is sharp at the bottom step. I have set my D90 to
>Manual mode and Rear curtain sync and exposure based on
>ambient light. I'm using an off camera SB700 in commander mode
>(it fires just fine). My problem is that the figure remains
>ghostly. I've tried overexposing--really ghostly!--and
>underexposing--a bit more evident--but I haven't found a
>setting that makes the figure sharp at the end of the step.

When there is motion in a flash picture the flash will stop the motion. However, if the ambient is bright, there will be a second image on top of the flash frozen image, and depending on the shutter speed, that ambient contribution may show the motion blur.

The only way to stop this blur is to eliminate the ambient portion of the exposure. So, the first step is to turn OFF the flash and shoot a picture using the shutter speed and aperture you want to use with the flash ON. This will show you how much ambient contribution you are getting. You want this to be very dark to eliminate the ambient.

To eliminate the ambient, you have to increase the shutter speed and you also may have to select a smaller aperture (high numbered f/ stop).

This is all best done with the camera in Manual mode, so you can adjust the shutter and aperture to whatever you want.

Also, make sure the flash is in Regular TTL and NOT in TTL-BL mode. TTL-BL mode is for adding fill flash to an ambient exposure, which is the opposite of what you are trying to do.

Then, when you get a totally dark ambient exposure, turn ON the flash and let it provide all the light for the exposure. Then, the motion will be stopped.

However, if the ambient is bright, there may not be any settings that will eliminate the ambient exposure. Then, the only solution is to turn OFF the flash and shoot the picture using the ambient light at a high shutter speed to stop the motion.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicRear Curtain Sync Flash [View all] , Andy47 , Wed 01-Aug-12 02:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash
Bluewaterhooker0
01st Aug 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
01st Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
02nd Aug 2012
Andy47
03rd Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
06th Aug 2012
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Aug 2012
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
22nd Aug 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251657 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.