Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251402
View in linear mode

Subject: "sporadic D90 shutter hesitation" Previous topic | Next topic
HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sat 16-Jun-12 02:25 AM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sporadic D90 shutter hesitation"

Wayland, US

Over the past few weeks I have started to notice that the D90 will sometimes hesitate about a half second before the shutter trips. Even though this has happened relatively few times, this is simply not normal and is thus noticeable (and jarring) for just that fact alone. First, my normal settings:

M- manual
AF-C
AE-L/AF-L button set to AF-ON

I've been through the menus several time now and as far as I can ascertain the camera is not being asked to evaluate anything before actuating the shutter train. The shutter should click immediately even with the lens cap on at midnight in a light-proof bag. My finger habits are well set and I am not experiencing crosstalk from autofocus. This is sporadic. As I said this has just started happening and I think I have noticed that it happens most (perhaps only) when the camera is waking up after a period of disuse (on the order of hours - the camera is shot almost daily). However, if this is true, the hesitation will have to be taking place after the camera has been turned on for a while and 1., the shutter button has been half-pressed to wake it up (if necessary) and 2., the thumb button has been depressed and focus acquired (judged visually - there is no beep in AF-C). In other words, the camera has no excuse for acting sleepy. If the hesitation takes place, it seems not to repeat itself for as long as the camera stays active over the next few hours. Does the camera ever refuse to take a photo? No, it's just slow off the mark by about a half second when it happens.

Is it the lens? Good question. I have been using two lenses in the time this problem has become apparent and I simply cannot say either that the behavior is confined to one lens or the other or has or has not occurred with both. But, neither of these screw-drive lenses (Tamron 17-50, Micro Nikkor 105 2.8D) has reported an FEE error, ever, on any body I own. There may be other less drastic faults that don't report out but I would have assumed they would be nulled out by using AF-C.

So my question is, before I go haring off to Nikon, has anyone else experienced or diagnosed this sporadic hesitation. If it's too sporadic, a trip to Melville is not likely to do much good and may only serve to irritate me. If it's a poor contact in the shutter button or its cabling (my fondest hope) then I guess I can cope - but I don't have to like it . This problem doesn't seem easy to find either here on Nikonians or on Google. However, at the very least, it would be interesting to know if there are some other secret sufferers. I suspect there are a couple of weeks of data collection ahead of me before it will make sense to contact Nikon.

Best,

Hendrik

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicsporadic D90 shutter hesitation [View all] , HenkB Silver Member, Sat 16-Jun-12 02:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: sporadic D90 shutter hesitation
TheGreatMike Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
TheGreatMike Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
AClogston
19th Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
20th Jun 2012
AClogston
20th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
20th Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
20th Jun 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251402 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.