nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
HenkB

Wayland, US
547 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D90 Lock Focus"

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Sun 17-Jun-12 08:37 PM

Mike,

The photos I've seen are of some pretty astounding heavy weather. Good luck with the staying safe part of the endeavor.

The more I think about it the less I like putting any sort of adhesive in direct contact with the lens. Changing focus, if it meant taking tape off, would be too big a deal to be convenient. Hence the suggestions for clean and durable alternatives.

There's another (sub)option, it turns out. If you have or can get the use of a non-AF-S lens like my Micro Nikkor 105 2.8D that sports a device (in this case a ring with a lock button) specifically for setting the lens to AF or MF, then, with the lens set to AF and the camera set with the AF-ON relegated only to the thumb button, the camera is effectively in focus lock since the focus ring has been decoupled from the focussing mechanism. No amount of twiddling will change the focus setting - only pressing the thumb button. True, it's not a zoom...

Putting drag on a camera drive AF lens that doesn't decouple would, I suspect, endanger the camera's AF motor and gearing. The lens that took this shot (24-85, 2.8-4D) has a focus ring that does not decouple and is virtually impossible to turn when the camera drive is engaged. If it is bad form to wrench the focus ring while engaged, it must be equally bad form to restrain the focus ring while the camera is trying to focus.

This wouldn't matter as much for an AF-S lens since the focus ring is connected to the focus drive through a slip mechanism. There, any drag would work and I would regard as preferable drag that did not involve putting tape directly on the lens.

Best,

Hendrik

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

A topic tagged as having a question D90 Lock Focus [View all] , sxmwb Silver Member, Mon 11-Jun-12 02:11 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D90 Lock Focus