nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to take picture in a cave

elec164

US
2267 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How to take picture in a cave"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Wed 23-May-12 12:32 PM

Hello Chris, welcome to Nikonians.

There are a few things you can do.

One is to manually focus, but being that the light level is low and the detail is minimal, that will also be difficult. Another method is to just estimate the distance and set the focus on the lens using the distance scale and selecting an aperture that will allow for a margin of error with the DOF. Unfortunately Nikon no longer includes a distance scale with newer designed consumer lenses (what were they thinking!!!).

Another suggestion I read is to carry around a flashlight (I believe you Brit’s call it a torch). Just shine the flashlight on the rock to attain and lock focus, then recompose and shoot.

Also the focus assist light on the camera has a limited range, using a hot shoe mounted flash such as the SB700 would allow a greater distance with its IR based focus assist lamp.

Hope this helps!!

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question How to take picture in a cave [View all] , orsoch , Wed 23-May-12 10:11 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to take picture in a cave