Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251210
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 18-May-12 01:05 PM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to In response to 0

US

WOW, a drop just for me!!! I’m honored!!!

Very creative with the flag reflection Darlene, a wonderful patriotic shot.

I agree with Joseph that if the original file is sharper on your monitor, then it’s more than likely a lack of sharpening after resampling.

Depending on what sharpening method you use, many of them work by increasing edge contrast. When you resample an image you are destroying that edge contrast and need to redo it.

I adopted more or less the three step sharpening routine when dealing with NEF’s. You start with a minimal amount of capture sharpening to offset the softness introduced by the AA filter and Bayer Filter Interpolation. Second round would be creative sharpening to selective areas as needed. The third and last is output sharpening and would depend on the output size in pixels and intended use. For example the amount of sharpening you would use for posting would be insufficient for printing on glossy paper with an inkjet printer. And the amount of sharpening for glossy paper on an inkjet would be insufficient for sharpening when printing to matte paper. That last round of sharpening is often left out until you purpose the file for output, this way you leave a master file with the first two steps and can repurpose the output sharpening as needed at the time. For example with these shots you would do the first two steps as needed, then for posting you need to down-sample the file to required size. After the resampling you would then sharpen to taste before saving for posting.

With my drop images I opened them in LR3 with the standard amount of 25 sharpening, making my adjustments as needed in the develop module and then handing a TIFF off to Photoshop CS3. I then did a resampling to posting pixel size, a High Pass sharpening layer, then flattened the layers and did a Smart Sharpen for final output.

Unfortunately Sharpening routines are more art than science. There are no hard fast rules to apply, just guidelines. If you want a good read on sharpening, I found ‘Real World Image Sharpening’ by Fraser and Schewe very helpful. They go out of their way to make sure it’s understood that there are no hard fast rules. They give examples and explanations of their workflows with the caveat “trust us”; explaining that their routines were achieved through empirical data from rigorous experimentation. And remember each round of sharpening is accumulative, so it’s easy to overdo it.

Keep up the good work, it’s inspiring.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicThis ones for you Pete!!!! [View all] , pasknucklehead Silver Member, Wed 16-May-12 01:02 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!
JosephK Silver Member
16th May 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
17th May 2012
Scotty Silver Member
17th May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
18th May 2012
greenwing Gold Member
17th May 2012
18th May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
18th May 2012
18th May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
18th May 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251210 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.