nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #9946
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: View NX2 and xmp files" Previous topic | Next topic
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Fri 08-Feb-13 04:53 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 and xmp files"
In response to In response to 0

I'm a long time CNX2/PhotoMechnic/iMatch user...

Nikon does not recognize XMP in any way. As I understand your question and setup, Lightroom will create XMP on ingest. As long as you stay in LR you are OK.

Once you have ingested into LR, you effectively lose any *Metadata* inter-operability between Nikon apps (View NX2 or CNX2) and perhaps just about anything else.

In my case, both iMatch and Photomechanic have enough metadata config options to work between themselves (sort of) but I never figured out how to make all 3 apps work together such that I could do front end metadata changes (star ratings, color classes and IPTC) in either PM and CaptureNX2 and get them to inter-operate between themselves, and ingest properly with iMatch.

I gave up trying, and decided not to use any Nikon apps for metadata work. That worked for me because I'd rather do it in PM anyway. It may be doable but as I said, I gave up .

With LR I would expect you would run into something similar if you want to change metadata in Nikon apps AFTER ingesting into LR. But beyond the problems I had with different apps, fundamentally it is difficult to inter-operate any browser or metadata/image editor like CNX2 and any cataloger.

That because the catalog app (LR in your case) will tend to get "confused" when it is updated with an image file that has different metadata. Which is the right one?

Not to say it can't be done, but it takes a huge amount of thought, and perhaps workflow discipline, assuming it can even mechanically happen.

(some of the above addresses issues that you are not specifically addressing, but perhaps you should? Even if CNX2 or ViewNX2 managed the deleting of sidecar files, that is only step one of a very complex process to keep the metadata straight)

If you do not want to use LR to do your culling, you might try Photomechanic. It is expensive (probably more than LR now) but for many of us has become somewhat indispensable, and at least partly because it has such a rich set of metadata configuration options. And it is written with XMP sidecar file management in mind.

my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A general, generic topicView NX2 and xmp files [View all] , M_Jackson Silver Member, Mon 04-Feb-13 04:44 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 and xmp files ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
04th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: View NX2 and xmp files M_Jackson Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: View NX2 and xmp files ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
04th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: View NX2 and xmp files nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
08th Feb 2013
09th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: View NX2 and xmp files nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
09th Feb 2013
09th Feb 2013
10th Feb 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #9946 Previous topic | Next topic