Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9863
View in linear mode

Subject: "Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys" Previous topic | Next topic
Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 04:43 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys"

Laurel, US

My silly problem: I'm running Nikon Capture NX2 version 2.2.6 on my MacBook Pro which is running Mac OS X 10.6.8. It has 8 GB of RAM. I had initially purchased and installed Capture NX, then later Capture NX2 as an update. My disks and License Keys and Proofs of purchase etc. are all stored safely, but 800 miles away. I don't expect to get back there for 6 to 8 weeks. I need to start work within days to process at least 350 images from a set of perhaps 900 for publication. The images were made with my new D4, and I certainly want to work from the NEFs, rather than the Basic JPGs which I saved with them. Well, my Capture NX 2 ver, 2.2.6 cannot open the NEFs. Conversations with Nikon via its "Ask Nikon" are extremely slow, and the answers are terse and somewhat incomplete. I'm told that I need the latest version of Capture NX2 to use these NEFs from a D4.
I've downloaded the installer for Capture NX2 Ver. 2.3.0 and started through the installation process. I got to the ReadMe which states that to update from Version 2.2.8 or earlier I would need the license keys for both Capture NX and its Capture NX2 Update.
It seems that the "About Capture NX 2" pop-up window which I can access from under the "Capture NX 2" Pull-Down-Menu Heading provides the 20 digit License Key for the Capture NX 2 Update down in the lower part of the window, beneath my name, which I used in registering the Update. The string is composed of four 5-digit groups separated by hyphens. Perhaps someone can compare the corresponding string on his computer to the license key for his Capture NX 2 and tell me if they match.
If the above is actually the License Key for my Capture NX 2 Update I still need to access the key from my Capture NX. Does anyone know how to tease that out of my MacBook Pro? Please tell me.
I've seen a post that someone successfully updated from Capture NX 2 ver. 2.2.7 on Windows to 2.3.0 then to 2.3.5 without needing to enter the License Keys. I don't want to risk that.
I recently read somewhere on a Nikon site that one can store License Keys on the Nikon site then retrieve then when necessary. I can't find that statement now, and can't find instruction on how to store or to retrieve License Keys via the Nikon site. I don't know whether I did anything special to save the License Keys when I installed the SW. I did use the License Keys to activate and to register the software with Nikon. My major Nikon Hardware is all registered with Nikon and is listed in "My Camera Bag." Please tell me what there is to know about storing software license keys with Nikon and then retrieving them later. Would products like Capture NX and Capture NX 2 be included in "My Camera Bag?"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpRetrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Keys [View all] , Renaissance Man Gold Member, Sat 12-Jan-13 04:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Retrieval of Capture NX and Capture NX2 License Key...
Asgard Administrator
12th Jan 2013
Renaissance Man Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
kennoll Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
Asgard Administrator
12th Jan 2013
kennoll Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
Renaissance Man Gold Member
13th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9863 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.