nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
9121 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Question about using Capture NX2"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 30-Dec-12 03:49 PM

I'm running Windows 7 with an i5 chip and 8MB of RAM. I'm not seeing the same issues unless dealing with very large files from the D800 - and even then not to the same extent. I do have an upgraded graphics card.

<1) program crashes if I try to CONVERT more than one image from RAW to Jpeg. Sometimes even with 1 image. And, it takes forever.>
I'm not seeing this issue. I'm seeing conversion times of around 2 seconds per file for D600/D800 images - faster for smaller files. You may get slightly better performance if you save a file before converting it when you are concurrently applying edits. It also can be slow if you have prior steps that are not finished processing.

<2) Nagging tendency to file uploads in folders I didn't choose. And which are named with old names that I've changed multiple times. Arghhh!>
This is completely user controlled - in Nikon Transfer. You might take a look at workflow. I create a new folder with the date for every upload.

<3) Sluggish navigating from folder to folder.>
I see this too. It takes time to render thumbnails and large folders make it much slower. I try to keep folders at 500 images and smaller - ideally 250-300 images. That's basically one card per folder.

<4) General slowness. Even in renaming.>
I have not seen this, but I don't rename files in batches very often. Typically I see individual files renamed instantly. There was a major step to faster speed with the upgrade early this year, but it is partially offset by larger files from the D600 and D800.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! Question about using Capture NX2 [View all] , danshep Silver Member, Sun 23-Dec-12 06:23 AM
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 ecossephoto
23rd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 fjhauke
23rd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 Pete Wilson Gold Member
23rd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
23rd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
                                        Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 jagdpanther Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
                                             Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 Gromit44
19th Jan 2013
                                   Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 piniongear
09th Jan 2013
                                        Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Jan 2013
                                             Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2 piniongear
27th Jan 2013
29th Jan 2013