nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kennoll

Seattle, US
946 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Win 8"

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011
Wed 31-Oct-12 06:38 PM | edited Wed 31-Oct-12 06:39 PM by kennoll

I don't know George. You may be right, but, IMHO, it going to take a lot longer as Win 8 is a paradigm shift in that the whole premise is based on the use of touch screens which, typically, businesses don't use (unless they're used for graphics which most likely would be Macs). Also, since MS provided a upgrade assistant, something I don't think they did before, to check which apps will/won't/don't know run with Win 8, I would be very cautious about introducing Win 8 into a business environment. Add to that the apps that are custom made for specific business applications.

When I went from Win 64 to XP, very few problems. Win XP to Win 7 Pro, again few problems. With Win 8 there's an "upgrade Assistant". Wow. When I ran the Win 8 upgrade assistant it seems that half of the apps including CNX2, VNX2, LR4, and several others on my machine were in the limbo, "don't know" category. I didn't see Win Office 2010 either making it a "don't know". Visio 2003 was in the No category.

Businesses, of the larger version, typically have a PC department responsible for testing and distributing new apps and OS's. I'm sure (at least I would hope) they will be very cautious and detailed in their evaluation of the new OS. Both the server version and the desktop version. PC acquisition will change. At first only the "in" people will get touch screens. Then pretty soon the whole corporate headquarters will demand touch screens. Then on it goes. Costly.

Even so, I may download Win 8 just to get it at a good price. I have a laptop and bought a new hard drive to run Win 7 Pro on. Saved the old (Vista) laptop hard drive. Pretty much all of my photo processing is done on a desktop so maybe I'll load Win 8 to the old laptop drive and give it a test..

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

A general, generic topic Win 8 [View all] , expat Silver Member, Fri 26-Oct-12 05:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Win 8