Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
four eighty sparky

1653 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"

four eighty sparky Registered since 08th Apr 2011
Fri 28-Sep-12 03:26 PM | edited Fri 28-Sep-12 03:31 PM by four eighty sparky

NEVER delete your raw files.

That's like throwing away film negatives.

NEVER delete your raw files.

Here's how I manage my images:

Initial camera file name might be D7K-1234.NEF. When I import the shoot, I put them into a file folder named for the shoot. Such as "Blue Bridge" or "2012 Vacation/Sun 2/Cave Falls".

Once I rate (star) the images in VNX, I edit them with CNX. When I get done editing them, I save the file in it's original folder. Then I name the image, say "Western Sunrise" and save it in another folder where I store all my keepers. I retain the original file number, so the image then becomes "Western Sunrise 1234.NEF". I keep the original file number here to retain the ability to find the original file in the original folder.

Once the edited raw file is saved in the second folder, I save it as a JPEG, "Western Sunrise 1234.JPG".

Further edits, such as for posting on the internet, get renamed again.... "Western Sunrise Post.JPG".

It may sound like a long road, but with the title "Western Sunrise", I can easily find the original file using the Search function.

With the price of memory constantly dropping, I can't imagine ever deleting an image, even if it's not a keeper and never gets edited. However, if you are inclined to an act of insanity and want to delete the raw files (It's raw, folks, not RAW.... it's not an acronym like JPEG)... just sort them in your File Manager by Type. That will group the JPEGs together, as well as the NEFs (NEF is an acronym.... Nikon Electronic File). One-click the first NEF file on the list, scroll down to the last one, and press the Shift Key when you one-click on the last NEF file on the list.

Press Delete to say bye-bye to all your hard work.

I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Converting RAW to JPEGS [View all] , Gerry Gingell , Thu 27-Sep-12 09:17 PM
Reply message RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS
Reply message Converting RAW to JPEGS