Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9222
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages" Previous topic | Next topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 23-Aug-12 03:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to In response to 0
Thu 23-Aug-12 04:38 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

First, I would use a card reader and not a direct connection to the camera. When a Nikon camera is connected to a computer, the camera is only powered by the camera's battery or power supply and not the computer. So it is possible the camera will die during a long transfer when a battery is less than fully charged.

Also many transfer programs have an automatic delete and reformat option after transfer that has bitten more than one user when a transfer goes south. Nikon Transfer has had more than 2 versions that have corrupted transferred images. The most recent issue is with Nikon D800.

With critical images, make a fully separate backup on a CD or DVD before any transfer for editing.

With Window's Explorer or Apple's Finder application you can create unique folder for each set of images and there are many utilities that can perform a mass rename or images in a folder or selected files. I would also not use or modify the media card in any way until you are satisfied that all of the images have been successfully transferred and you no longer need the original images on the media card.

Most PCs place the images in the "My Pictures" folder within the " My Documents" folder. The exact name of the folders is dependent upon your login name.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicStoring and titling photos of text pages [View all] , wdc202 , Mon 20-Aug-12 05:11 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
23rd Aug 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.
23rd Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
30th Aug 2012
cliddell Silver Member
31st Aug 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9222 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.